Never Ending Journey – How to Remember Your Travels Long After You Return Home
The amazing sunrise over the ancient Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia, the night that you spent eating chocolate and drinking wine while sitting on a bridge over the Seine in Paris, the view from the top of the mountain while skiing in the Canadian Rockies, the colourful spices for sale in the bustling marketplaces of Morocco; these are all of the priceless moments that you cherish from your travels.
When you come home from a holiday or an extended several-month long trek of travelling the world, you want to be able to keep those memories fresh in your mind. However, most of the time you will get caught up in your new surroundings and lose touch with what you were feeling as you were exploring foreign lands.
Why not create a beautiful and unique reminder in your home so that you can think of your travels whenever you look at it? This sort of thing serves two purposes. On the one hand it will be a way of commemorating your travels and on the other hand it will also serve as a conversation starter for anyone visiting your home. They will see it and ask about your travels, giving you an opportunity to share your stories of where you have been.
If you want to create a tasteful and beautiful reminder of your worldly adventures in your home, here are some tips for how to go about it.
Travel Memento Tips:
- If you have taken some particularly beautiful photos on your travels, go to a photo printers and have them blow up and printed off poster size in high quality. You can then buy a frame to go along with them and use them as art in your home. Rather than have someone else’s art on your walls, you can have a reminder of a beautiful view that you photographed yourself.
- As you travel, start a collection of small items which are the same from each destination you visit. For example, you could collect a small jar of sand from every beach, or you could collect photo frames or mugs. You can then arrange your collection artfully in your home to show off all of the places you have been.
- Many online gift retailers allow you the option to upload your photos and put them into a customized calendar. This can be a great way to display photos from your travels on your wall and you will be able to look at a different photo every month.
- There are also other options for creating other personalized items such as notebooks, mouse pads and mugs with photos from your adventures around the world. You will use these items every day and each time you look at them you will be reminded of what a great time you had exploring the world.
- Another neat idea is a digital photo frame. These frames store a number of images on an SD card and they cycle through them on a pre-programmed slide show. This is a great option if you have several beautiful photos from your travels and you can’t choose which one to display.
- If you know how to sew, collect pieces of fabric from each country and put them together in a beautiful quilt. Imagine a handmade quilt with silk from India, batik dyed fabric from Indonesia and fabric from a brightly coloured woven South American poncho.
- You could bring back some memories of your travels in the form of a cookbook with recipes from that country. What better way to remember your time in Italy than to whip up an amazing Italian feast with fresh pasta, olives, juicy tomato, sausages and more?
- Another idea for the kitchen is to bring home dishes and serving utensils from another country. For example, you could find a lovely set of tea cups in Japan and use them to drink green tea at home.
These are just a few fun and creative ways that you can keep the memories of your travels alive long after you have returned home.
From personalized gifts to cookbooks and much more, here are some creative ideas for remembering your travels once you arrive home.