Tips & Tricks for First Time Cruisers
Never taken a cruise before? Check out our tips and tricks:
- Make sure your passport is up to date and won’t expire during your trip. It’s best to do this as far ahead as possible.
- Bring plenty of casual clothes and comfortable shoes. Also, some cruise lines have one formal night so if you are attending the formal night, be sure to bring a dressy outfit.
- Some cruise ships ban items such as beer or bottled water. Check your cruise lines’ website before packing.
- On the first day, there will be a safety briefing. Be sure to attend this so you will know what to do in case there are any issues.
- Consider travel insurance in case anything were to happen to you or your travel companions before or during the trip.
- Get to the ship early so that you can familiarize yourself with it and you’ll also ensure that they won’t leave without you. Cruise ships will typically not wait more than 15 minutes after their departure time. Plan to arrive early.
- Your stateroom will be much smaller than typical hotel rooms. Also, don’t expect your luggage to arrive immediately. Therefore, if you need medications or toiletries, grab them from your bag and bring them with you.
- Pack a power strip for your room. You’ll need it if you have multiple things that require electricity.
- There will be entertainment that is offered. Be sure to take advantage of these shows!
- At each destination, there will be excursions that are offered at an additional price. Do your research as some of the excursions will be worth the extra cost.
- If you are traveling with your kids, bring a set of walkie-talkies on board so that you can check in with them if needed.
- Hire a competent travel agent who will be an invaluable resource for you whether it’s cabin selection or visa requirement assistance. They’ll be able to get you a great price and may even be able to include extras such as a complimentary shore excursion.
If you’ve been on a cruise before, please share your tips & tricks in the comments section.