Tips & Tricks for Buying Cheap Airline Tickets
Sometimes plane ticket purchases seem like a conundrum. They are low one minute and then the next minute, the price has significantly increased. Or, if you change the date or time, the price increases or decreases. Here’s your guide to buying plane tickets for the cheapest price.
- If you are flexible in your travel dates, fly on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Saturdays. A farecompare.com report found that the cheapest flight is typically at 3pm on Tuesdays. Building on this, avoid flying on popular days which are typically Friday or Sunday.
- When it comes to flight timing, try flights that depart very early or very late as most people do not want these flights. Also, make sure you book at least 49 days or 7 weeks in advance to get the cheapest rate (as reported by cheapair.com). If you are planning to fly around the holidays, then the cheapest flights are around 96 days or 14 weeks in advance. If you are flying internationally, then book your flights 5.5 to 1.5 months in advance.
- Join the airline’s frequent flier program to receive additional rewards or earn miles. Building on this, sign up to receive email blasts from the airline and follow them on social media as there may be exclusive deals that they are offering via these outlets.
- Another option is to expand your search of airports. If you open up your search to an airport within 100 miles, you may see a drastic difference in costs.
- Finally, use the internet to allow you to find great deals. We like kayak.com but there are many search engines available to help you find the best deals.
We hope that this list helps you in finding the best rates for your airfare. Keep in mind that airfare is more likely to go up than down, so if you see a great rate, take it! What are your tips and tricks for finding the cheapest airfare? Share with us in the comments section.