Must-See Attractions in Washington, DC
Our nation’s capital offers an abundance of attractions to see and enjoy! The city, designed by Parisian Pierre L’Enfant, features breathtaking monuments, history, and charm. After having visited the city for years, we’ve put together our list of must-see attractions:
- See lawmakers at work at the Capitol building. Here you can join an official tour or visit one of the cafeterias on Independence Avenue to spot political figures.
- The White House is worth a quick stop to get a picture. You won’t be able to get in but you can try to spot the snipers on top of the roof.
- To see an impressive Gothic cathedral, stop at the National Cathedral. Here, take an elevator to the Pilgrim Observation Gallery, which features sweeping views of the city.
- Just down the street from the National Cathedral, make a quick visit to the famous National Zoo (especially if you would like to see pandas).
- An important landmark worth a quick stop is the Washington Landmark not too far from the White House.
- If you have kids, a fun stop may be the Spy Museum, which features interactive displays the whole family will enjoy.
- Stroll down the Mall to see the majority of Washington’s monuments and museums. Here, visit the Lincoln Memorial, the sculpture garden at Hirshhorn Museum, The National Gallery of Art, Air and Space Museum, The National Museum of American History, The National Museum of Natural History, and the World War II Memorial.
- Located just off the mall is the Holocaust Memorial Museum, which is an important and profound museum.
- Also just a short distance from the Mall is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial which features 58,000 names of lives lost engraved into the walls.
- If you’ll be in the city in the spring, plan a walk along the Tidal Basin to view the blooms of the cherry blossom trees.
- For great shopping options, we’d suggest a visit to Georgetown.
- Finally, if time allows, stop by the Arlington National Cemetery to view memorials and final resting sites of famous Presidents, explorers, and astronauts.
Whether you’re staying for one day or five, the city offers sites for the entire family. Have fun exploring Washington DC!